Search This Blog

Thursday 8 October 2009

A couple of hours and I am even more disturbed.


Look, I am rubbish at Maths but even I can see that the statistics are not looking good.

I'll quote my sources at the bottom if and you can check my working.

A total of 28 963 complaints were recorded in the financial year 2007/2008.

That statistic does not include those not recorded under the police reform act. (I think, I can't lay my hands on the paperwork that cites the legislation by which they justify not recording a complaint)

It is my experience that many of the complaints are routinely returned by the police as one that they do not have to record, even if that assertation is inaccurate. How many people do you think do not pursue their complaints further after receiving such a notice? 50%, more?

Also, I read in a paper recently that for every complaint made, 10 people don't bother.

I think I have found the reason why. How many of those 28 thousand or so complaints do you think resulted in disciplinary action? Discipline methods recorded were:
Dismissal
Requested to Resign
Reduction in Rank
Fine
Reprimand
Caution
Substantiated - No Further Action
Written Warning

257

Of those, 106 were substantiated yet no further action was taken.

No wonder PC B (Who was the main perpertrator of violence on me during my arrest in 2005) said "You ain't gonna do fuck all to me." when I remonstrated with him regarding his conduct.

I wonder how this compares with other public bodies? I wonder who I ask?

However, it was my perusal of www.whatdotheyknow.com that brought these statistics to my attention. A quick scan showed that I was not the only one wondering about this type of things.

A silver lining but sometimes I wish I didn't know so much.

1 comment:

  1. Opps forgot references:
    http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/complaints_report_2007-08.pdf
    http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/misconduct_sanctions_imposed_on_officers_2007-_08.pdf

    ReplyDelete