Search This Blog

Thursday 8 October 2009

There's a wealth of information - USE IT!

My goodness!

There is so much information out there! I've sent the following to Boris, my local MP and London assembly representive:

I hope that you can help me with a few queries.

Recently I applied to become an Independent Custody Visitor.

http://www.mpa.gov.uk/partnerships/icv/about/

In principle, the scheme has the potential to restore some of the confidence in the police that has been lost recently. However, in my opinion it is not publicised well enough to attract applications from an adequate cross section of the public.

More concerning is their policy to not inform candidates why they have not been selected. When you consider the main aim for this scheme is to increase accountability, this policy undermines any confidence that those chosen to visit are truly independent.

Selection criteria should be transparent. Could you please explain this policy or point me in the right direction to someone who can.

Finally, when reading the news recently, I noted that there has never been a prosecution of a police officer for manslaughter while they are on duty.

This statistic amazed me. Do you know how many officers have been prosecuted for any non-minor offence recently and how this compares to older statistics?

Can it really be that there are none? This possibility causes me concern and I would appreciate it if you could investigate on my behalf.

This issue is directly related to a campaign that I am involved in.

I invite you to watch our video and hope that you can support our cause in the line of your duties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuNNUVTcvRY

I hope to hear from you soon,

Many Thanks,

Zoe Mercer

While looking up the address I found www.theyworkforyou.com and it is the most fantastic resource.

I found out my MP's stance on issues, voting record and all sorts of interesting information. For example, Bob Neill's page suggests that he his against parliamentary transparency but in favour of increased anti terror laws. Hmmm

However, Knowledge is power. But that power is useless unless it is utilised.

Theyworkforyou.com is run by a mysociety Such a fantastic idea... I've now got two things to investigate.

www.pledgebank.com and whatdotheyknow.com Amazing. I think I am gonna be all internetted out in a few hours.

It seems to me that the electronic age is redefining society and who can influence it. I am grateful that societal barriers have been broken down. After all, if I had been born 100 years ago, would I have been able to communicate with those in power and make friends outside my geographical locality?

Time will tell if my contact is anything more than superficial but it does give me hope.

Now to bring it to others attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment